Model making with a South African persuasion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model making with a South African persuasion

Hosted by Geoff Pereira (jugjunkie)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MAD STEVE
Senior Chief Warrant Officer
MAD STEVE

Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. Empty
PostSubject: Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover.   Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 3:07 pm

Howdy Chaps

One of the two Land Rovers included in the twin set.
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0251

Now if youve been living in a fridge box (or the free state) for the last couple years, you wont have know Airfix has kind of pulled its socks up and started putting out some nice kits. The new range of Operation Herrick kits are actually quite good. The Coyote, Jackal, Land Rovers, Quad Bikes and the new Warrior are very nice kits and the two sets of figure kits will compliment them nicely.

Theres been a bit of bunfight going on about the scale, why 48th scale?, but the subjects are unique, and I think Airfix have made a niche for themselves. There are not that many modern 48th scale kits available at the mo, and even less modern british ones.

Ok, the kit.
Full chasis, engine, interior included, with options for open or closed bonnet and doors.
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0256
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0257
Full chassis, engine and interior are included and a very nice touch is the bulged tires.
The only real problem i can see, is the usual Airfix ones... sink marks and mould lines, lots of them and considering this kit is less than a year old, mhhhh.

Chassis and engine have about a dozen parts and it took me quite a while to clean all the bits up but eventually I eneded up with this...
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0258
and after a fight with a tin of humbrol...
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0259
Those of you used to 35th scale vehicles, heres an indication of the scale, the Squad Support weapon, 1.8cm long
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0260

Right, back to the cleaning bunfight...
Later chaps...

Steve

Back to top Go down
MAD STEVE
MAD STEVE

PostSubject: Update   Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Howdy Chaps
Bit of an update...

Oh, before we start.. lemme introduce you to my leetle friend....
This new stuff from Tamiya is quite cool, works very well. Its pre mixed and is almost the perfect consistency.
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0266

ok,the internals have been finished, front and rear. quite nice detail in the cab, but no 'stuff', so I added a couple of things.
I didnt add seatbelts, and on the advice on a friend who was over there, it doesnt matter anyway, because they were almost never worn apparently.

The front cab. Basically all standard, except the map from a Tamiya kit, and the little blue water bottle is scratchbuilt. The SA 80 is from the WMIK.
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0262
Paint throughout is humbrol, weathered and washed.
The rear section is also as standard, not a lot added here, as you can see basically nothing when it all goes together.
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0263

And test fitting the body.
Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. SAM_0264

There's been quite a few post on other sites about these kits, and they are good, but they do need a bit of attention in the fit department.
Ive been trying to fit the front end this afternoon and it has proven to be quite... entertaining.
Ok, more later
Steve
Back to top Go down
jugjunkie
Chief of the Air Force
Chief of the Air Force
jugjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover.   Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 am

WOW this is coming along really well Steve. That Tamiya stuff is quite interesting. Those front seats look really cool and realistic!
Back to top Go down
https://modelmaker.forumotion.com
Phil
Master Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Phil

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover.   Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 2:50 pm

Nice going Steve
Back to top Go down
MAD STEVE
MAD STEVE

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover.   Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 3:03 pm

Phil wrote:
Nice going Steve

Ta muchly.
Unfortunately, its hit a bit of a flat point at the moment... Two of the wheels didnt fit onto the mating lugs on the axles and i spent a pointless hour trying to carve out the fitting until i realised, hello!!! just cut the lug off (duh!)
Then, the front end has some fit issues where the front wings, body and windscreen insert fit together. There is supposed to be no joint line there at all on the real thing, and the kit has three trying to do the same thing, so they were stripped back, filled with putty and are busy waiting to be sanded smooth.

Still, not looking too bad at the mo, but i think the weathering will really bring this one to life.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Phil
Master Warrant Officer
Master Warrant Officer
Phil

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover.   Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 3:17 pm

That's an ''ooops'' moment there......

brass rod is great for fixing those accidents, more than once it has fixed a broken gear leg or wheel on a vehicle, drilled holes for the rod, Ca glue, very strong fix.

Sounds like you are on top of it, should be good all done and weathered!

Back to top Go down
MAD STEVE
MAD STEVE

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover.   Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2013 3:44 pm

oh yes...
one of those moments when you have realised that youve just spent an hour being a complete knob and 32 seconds later you have the problem fixed...

must be old age...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover.   Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airfix 1/48th Snatch Land Rover.
Page 1 of 1