Model making with a South African persuasion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Model making with a South African persuasion

Hosted by Geoff Pereira (jugjunkie)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MAD STEVE
Senior Chief Warrant Officer
MAD STEVE

DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Empty
PostSubject: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeSun Mar 02, 2014 6:58 am

Howdy chaps.
Dunno about you, but im fascinated by the 'new' genre of Steam Punk and its off shoot Diesel Punk.
Steam Punk is bascially sci fi vehicles with a Victorian flavour, with great big steam engines all sparkly and shiny with all the doodahs that go along with it. Diesel Punk is essentially the same thing, but using Diesel power instead of Steam. (Check out intergoogle for more).

One of the things that fascinates me is the Monowheels, so, instead of just sitting around wishing that I could build like that, Ive decided to have a go at a DieselPunk Monowheel.

Most of the stuff Ive seen is built either in 1/12th, 1/16th scale, but for me as a first jump off, Ive decided to keep it down to 1/24th.
As with most Sci Fi, theres no hard and fast rules so suits me even better.

Okay then.
Theres a number of different 'theories' about monowheels, power, traction etc, and I've chosen one of them that could actually work, which is based on a conveyor belt system, basically, a big tight rubber band thingie run over sprung rollers, power by the engine.

So heres the basic set up.
Two Plasticard rims, 26cm accross, between them 6mm blocks of PC.
DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE 001-5

DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE 003-1

Then, around the circumference there are 32 rollers, spinning on metal pins.
DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE 002-2

Only the 6mil squares are glued on at the moment, everything else is just being held together, so as soon as all the rollers are in, I can clean them all up, and glue the two rings together.

Thats it for now, bit more later...

Steve

Last edited by MAD STEVE on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Warrant Officer Class 1
Warrant Officer Class 1
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeThu Mar 06, 2014 1:53 pm

affraid Whoa!! affraid 

You are one brave man, bub!! pale 

Or, just plain crazy!! clown 

That is some awesome scratch build!!

I'll be keeping an wyw on that! Shocked 
Back to top Go down
MAD STEVE
MAD STEVE

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 9:01 am

Howzit Bud
Thanks
I hope this actually gets somewhere.
I have a 24th Scale BMW bike enigine that im going to use as the power plant, but i have noooo clue how im going to mount it...

Will get some more done this weekend.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Snowy
Warrant Officer Class 1
Warrant Officer Class 1
Snowy

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Don't sweat it bub! There is plenty of reference out there on the web, it's a case of looking , re-looking and tinkering.

It will take some time to figure out, but you will get there. Progressive Resistance!!

Pretty much like my NCR, I'm alway looking to do that little bit more, borrowing an idea from here, another from there. I don't have a fixed design, just ideas and needing to figure out how to make them work - if at all possible.

You'll crack this big time, you're the man with a plan Idea 

BRAVO for your bravery!
Back to top Go down
MAD STEVE
MAD STEVE

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Ha...
Unfortunately getting whats in my head, into 3D reality is usually what stops the whole thing.....

I shall crack on tho.

steve
Back to top Go down
jugjunkie
Chief of the Air Force
Chief of the Air Force
jugjunkie

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeMon Mar 10, 2014 11:49 am

Just have to see where this goes..... the start is awesome!
Back to top Go down
https://modelmaker.forumotion.com
dar
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 9:38 pm

Will this be weaponized Steve? Reminds me of something from an old Dad's Army episode years ago.
Back to top Go down
MAD STEVE
MAD STEVE

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2014 6:42 am

Howzit Chaps.

If you get on the intergoogle thing and look up diesel punk, you'll see that the style is very much
40's Science Fiction. Long flowing curves, chrome etc.
Not too sure how im going to transfer that across to the MonoCycle, but we shall see, got a big spares box and I know how to use it Smile

This one isnt going to be weaponised, as its basically just a taster for me into this whole genre to see if I can come up with something believable, and I have a second project planned as well for a tracked vehicle.

I've completed the ring now, and Im busy constructing the 'tyre' and trying to figure out how to fit the drivers position and engine into it. Will post more piccies at the weekend.

Steve
Back to top Go down
MAD STEVE
MAD STEVE

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeSat Mar 15, 2014 8:29 am

Morning Chaps

Bit more of an update on the tinkering.

The Rim is finished, with the inner and outer sections now clad.
With Headless Heinz posing next to the wheel, it looks, erm, well, rather large.
DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE 001-5-1

When we get Headless Horst to pose with it, you can see its not that big.. well!?
DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE 002-2-1
(Figures are Tamiya 1/24th Rally Mechanics)
Ok, so the ring is a bit big, but ill work around it.

So, now some thought needs to go into the gubbins that are going to make it go.
Im going to be using the engine from this:
DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE 005-2
Sunny 1/24th Scale BMW R75. These are pretty rare outside of Japan, but I have quite a few so thought i'd use this engine.
They are very basic kits, more for the younger types. but I've started added some goodies
DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE 004-1

And started adding the engine mounting brackets on the rim
DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE 003-1-1

and finally, ive started making the tyre for the rim.
DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE 006-3
This is going to be built up from several layers, this being the topmost, with the tread. the fishbone pattern will be trimmed down to the edge of the plastic card strip.

Ok, some more later after Ive taken the wife to Woolies so she can go cause some serious damage to my account... pale 
Back to top Go down
jugjunkie
Chief of the Air Force
Chief of the Air Force
jugjunkie

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 7:28 am

Excellent work Steve, i'm really looking forward to seeing this happen.
Back to top Go down
https://modelmaker.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE   DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DIESEL PUNK MONOCYCLE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Model making with a South African persuasion :: Civilian and Sci Fi :: Work in Progress-
Jump to: