Share | 

Tony Dill's Kopro 1/48 Su-25K

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jugjunkie
Chief of the Air Force
Chief of the Air Force

PostSubject: Tony Dill's Kopro 1/48 Su-25K   Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:43 am

This is my first build of a kit directly from the Face Book page. Got it from Tony Dill and it was only just started. The wings had been done with the one half of the engine nacelles in place and the elevators were attached. First thing that I wanted to do was complete the wing attachment to the fuselage - completing the engine nacelle and the wing attachment. First impressions are not too good. The surface detail is very soft and disappears in places and - reminds me a lot of early Italeri kits. Fit seems to be OK'ish but I do foresee the need for some elbow grease ahead.

I started this one completely different to the usual cockpit mainly because Tony had already started with the wings. I was a bit perturbed by way everything goes together and I can see that the engine nacelles, wing, and engine internals are going to make for some fun. The engineering of this assembly is plain bloody daft. So after reading the instructions thoroughly I decided to assemble one half of the inlet onto the fuselage on both sides, and assemble the other half of the nacelle onto the wings. I opted to spray the engine intake with Alclad dark Aluminium at this stage.

I then sprayed the compressor blades in Alclad Durallium, and fitted them. Then I attached the second half of the engine and attached the wing section to the fuselage section and this worked out sort of OK....

Looking at Photos of the plane, the opening of the intakes are very rounded and not squared off as this is.There is a part supplied in the kit to fit to the front but after dry fitting, i decided it would be better to build the lip up with sprue and shape it myself. At this stage I realised I should perhaps have assembled the engine section complete first and then attached it to the fuselage because now the fixing of the seam is going to a bit more difficult in-situ. Kopro really should have made decent shaped and fitting intake rings to be added at this stage to give that proper rounded effect but alas!

Just a comparative shot - original and reworked together...

I would lie if I said I was impressed with this kit. I have always had a negative perception of East European manufacturers until Eduard came along. I think Kopro make great subjects and they have a huge amount of surface detail there (more than most I would say) but the quality is crap. I have recently heard about the new stuff Zvesda are producing and I think I need to check it out. I had an older Zvesda Su 30 some time back and it was rubbish so I have tended to avoid the brand but I think i'll check them out again.

Anyway.....I turned my attention to the stores on the Su-25 and again, not impressive. Starting with the rocket launchers. They are simple 3 piece affairs and after glueing the two haves of the main body together, it was apparent that here again I would need to expend a bit of effort to make them half acceptable.

That's it - just an empty tube! The actual pod has a baffle plate at the rear which is a bear minimum for goodness sake KOPRO!! It would be so easy to create a small round plastic bit with a few holes in it!!! So first step is to thin out the rear section and properly define the surface details and holes - lots of holes!

The front housing also benefits from a visit by the finger drill....

Stay tuned......

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://modelmaker.africamotion.net
jugjunkie
Chief of the Air Force
Chief of the Air Force

PostSubject: Re: Tony Dill's Kopro 1/48 Su-25K   Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Making some headway. Stores are done, pit next and then zip it up.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://modelmaker.africamotion.net
Snowy
Warrant Officer Class 1
Warrant Officer Class 1

PostSubject: Re: Tony Dill's Kopro 1/48 Su-25K   Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:31 pm

Looking good!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tony Dill's Kopro 1/48 Su-25K   

Back to top Go down

Tony Dill's Kopro 1/48 Su-25K
View previous topic View next topic Back to top